.
"You
Weekly News
Local Service Directory

Home Page Home| About Ballingarry Location and Map Email Us Tell a Friend Add to Favorites Social Bookmark Site



Local Schools
Sports Clubs
Parish Journal & Calendars
Community Council

Slieveardagh Writers

Early Ballingarry History
Medieval Ballingarry
Parish History
Parish Priests
Parish School History
Ballingarry Landowners

Historical People


1848 Rebellion:

Famine Warhouse 1848 Heritage Site

Centenary,1948

150th Anniversary,1998

Restoration Project

2004 Official State Opening

Annual Famine Warhouse Walk

1848 and the Daily Irish Flag Raising Ceremony

1848 Rebellion and the Young Irelanders

Various Articles

Nine Fine Irishmen - Las Vegas


Slieveardagh Parishes
Civil Survey, 1850

20th Century History

Coal Mining Heritage

Census of Population
Civil Survey,1850
Local Family Names
Our Diaspora
Genealogy Forum
Genealogy Services

Area Maps
Slieveardagh Tourist Trail
Other attractions
Tourist Accommodation


The Commons Village Renewal Committee

On Thursday 13th March 1997, a Public Meeting was called in Slieveardagh N.S., The Commons.  The purpose of the meeting was to form A Village  Renewal Committee.  Approximately twenty eight people attended.  The meeting was chaired by John Dalton and Susan Meagher M.C.C.  The following officers and Committee were elected:


Chairman:

Michael Kavanagh

Vice Chairman:

Tony Ivors

Secretary:

Margaret Webster

Ass. Secretary:

Annie Heaphy

Treasurers:

Maisie Dunne & Caroline Kealy

P.R.O.:

Harry Mullins

Committee: Noel O’ Donnell, Paddy Lawlor, Peter Behan, Mary Doheny & James Ivors.
The first meeting of the Committee took place on the 20th March.  £44,000 was granted to the committee from E.U. Funds.  This grant was not lodged to the committee’s account as it is held by Tipperary S.R. County Council to cover the cost of major works in The Village, eg. Stone Wall Construction, Nova Chip etc.  Fund-raising for the Committee started with a Dance in O’ Shea’s Lounge on Sunday 18th May and a church gate collection in late June.  We take this opportunity to thank all our Sponsors and all who contributed to us on both occasions.  A successful meeting was held with the County Council Engineers and all local County Councilors where a list of work to be completed in the Village was drawn up.  Some of this work is under way at present.  With the 1848 Celebrations to be held in The Commons Village next July we hope all work will be completed on time and that the local community will have a village to be proud of to welcome all visitors.  The committee would like to thank all who have assisted them in their work so far and also Slieveardagh N.S. for the use of their facilities to hold meetings.

 





Join Ballingarry Mailing List


Ballingarry Forum

Ballingarry Chat



This site is maintained by the Ballingarry Parish info@ballingarry.net Site Design by S.W.V. Studios Last updated: August 2011


Sign Guestbook View Guest Book