.
Weekly News
Local Service Directory

Home Page Home| About Ballingarry Location and Map Email Us Tell a Friend Add to Favorites Social Bookmark Site



Local Schools
Sports Clubs
Parish Journal & Calendars
Community Council

Slieveardagh Writers

Early Ballingarry History
Medieval Ballingarry
Parish History
Parish Priests
Parish School History
Ballingarry Landowners

Historical People


1848 Rebellion:

Famine Warhouse 1848 Heritage Site

Centenary,1948

150th Anniversary,1998

Restoration Project

2004 Official State Opening

Annual Famine Warhouse Walk

1848 and the Daily Irish Flag Raising Ceremony

1848 Rebellion and the Young Irelanders

Various Articles

Nine Fine Irishmen - Las Vegas


Slieveardagh Parishes
Civil Survey, 1850

20th Century History

Coal Mining Heritage

Census of Population
Civil Survey,1850
Local Family Names
Our Diaspora
Genealogy Forum
Genealogy Services

Area Maps
Slieveardagh Tourist Trail
Other attractions
Tourist Accommodation




About Ballingarry

The Famine Warhouse 1848

During the Great Famine, 1845-1850, the Warhouse at Ballingarry, Co. Tipperary, was the scene of the principal action of the 1848 Rebellion by the Young Irelanders.

Most now agree, that had there not been the Young Ireland movement, we would not have had the Fenians of 1867 and the 1916 Rising, hence the national historical importance of the 1848 Warhouse.

The farm house which belonged to the McCormack family has always been known locally as the Warhouse.  The warhouse was placed on the register of historic monuments in April 1989 in order to give legal recognition to the historical significance of the building.

At the 150th anniversary Commemoration Cermony, in 1998, The Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern TD, described the house as ‘an important historic monument and part of our national heritage’ and acknowledged the appropriateness of it housing a permanent exhibition. The state duly took ownership of the house, an officially renamed it the 'Famine Warhouse 1848'. The house was officially opened by Tom Parlon, T.D, Minister for State at the Department of Finance, with responsility for the Office of Public Works, on Wednesday, 21 July 2004 at 3 pm.

The residents of Ballingarry and the surrounding area commemorate the 1848 Rebellion each year with a Famine Warhouse Walk. A Flag Raising Ceremony takes place each day, at the Commons, Ballingarry, to commemorate the fact that the Irish Flag was first flown, in Ballingarry, during the 1848 rebellion.

The Famine Warhouse 1848 heritage site is open to visits, you will find the details you need below.

Widow McCormack's House, illustration

Warhouse before renovation


Warhouse after renovation

Famine Warhouse Visit

Contact Details

Address: Ballingarry, Co. Tipperary
Telephone No: +353 87 908 9972
Email: info@heritageireland.ie

Opening Hours

Apr - Sept: Wed-Sun 14.30 - 17.30
Oct - Mar: Sat & Sun only 14.00 - 16.00

At other times it is freely open by appointment, contact the OPW local number 087-9089972 (this number is on the signs at the public road entrance) or from outside Ireland +353 87 9089972.

Free Visitors’ Guide leaflets available in both Irish and English

Average Length of Visit: 40 minutes

Admission Fees - Free

Facilities:

Exhibition, toilets, toilet for visitors with disabilities. Car/coach park

Join Ballingarry Mailing List


Ballingarry Forum

Ballingarry Chat



This site is maintained by the Ballingarry Parish info@ballingarry.net Site Design by S.W.V. Studios Last updated: December 2009


Sign Guestbook View Guest Book